Skip to main content

Reading Notes-Ramayana Part D

Simhika leads Draupadi into the forest
While this picture doesn't completely correlate with the stories of Part D, it does remind me of how Sita would have looked after the battle had died down and she was expected to walk back to her husband and her future. 

The concept that stuck out to me the most during this portion of the Ramayana epic is, of course, the battle scenes. I'm not sure if it's just me and how I process scenarios, but I can never quite get a grasp of battle scenarios. In these scenarios, specifically, I noticed that the characters often got lost in what they were doing and who they were doing it to. It was significantly easier to process the scene if it worked with the main characters that had been a part of each story, like Hanuman, Ravana, and Rama. Their actions, whether it was written out differently or not, seemed easier to understand and the reasoning for their actions was usually clear. When it got to external characters or even other gods that got involved, it was hard to not only understand what exactly they were doing but even what their purpose was. At the same time, I must keep in mind that it was partially my exposure to new characters were particularly lower and I would have taken longer to remember who they were in relevance to the story instead of what they were doing which convoluted my learning. 

I also noticed through all of the Ramayana epics that many chunks of the prose were written in couplets. They rhymed and it was easier to read but, for some reason, I had more difficulty understanding exactly what was being said. However, when I did understand exactly what the characters were trying to express, I felt more connected with the characters and the story itself. I believe that kind of couplet style was only used to express the words that Sita and Ravana's wife were saying or doing. I think it's pretty cool when the women speak since they are both in a predicament that doesn't necessarily deal with the direct battle. They both have husbands that they are worried about but don't have much contact with each other. I wish I knew more about their relationship but I think the story is meant to show more perspective of the brothers rather than their wives. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Story: Snip Snap Fish Crab

Photo by pieceoflace photography on Flikr.   The pond had been the home for generations of fish. The pond had seen generations of schools, all swimming up to feel the warmth of the sun after being burrowed in eggs on the deep floor. As the years passed, the pond kept losing water, kept losing fish. What was once a booming pool of abundant creatures slowly became a warm puddle with fish that were slowly suffocating. The wild crane, the old and cranky one near the bay, watch the water line dip lower and lower every year. Instead of working hard to catch a few fish every day in a deep pond, he waited. Patiently. He watched the waters evaporate from the now shallow pond and saw the booming schools of fish starting to panic. He smiled to himself, knowing his long-awaited moment was almost here. "I don't know what much else we can do, sir," said Lole, the wisest fish in the pond. "I've never seen anything like it," said Boe, the oldest fish in the pond.

Week 6 Story: Bhima and Hidimbi

Ghatotkacha  by Unknown.  The story of Bhima and Hidimba actually made me feel a bit different compared to all the love stories from the Indian Epics. I wanted to focus on more of the emotional aspect of the couple and decided to write it up!                                                                                                                                                                     This felt different. He felt different.  The large family, in the tattered garment and heavy eyelids, took a seat under the tallest tree in my forest. Four of them looked like they were teetering on sleep as they settled into the lush grass.  "Be careful, dear. You are more than just strength. Wake up when trouble comes," said the older woman before curling up, her sleep overcoming her before she could have a word against it. Four of the five men with her followed her suit.  Yet the largest man, with full arms and strong legs, seemed unphased. He looke

Brief Introduction Production

Hi! This is what I look like! Photo by Melanie Foster, personal use.  Cheers to a new blog! Ideally, you, the reader, and I, the writer, have never actually met before. Lucky for the both of us, there's much to learn! I truly believe that writing about anything makes one more knowledgeable than before they wrote about it.  While I don't have an eight-course thesis about myself, there are some basic components I would prefer people to know about me before the rest of who I am. Let us begin.  -I hate frogs.  I do not know where this originated from since this feels like a recent phobia. I remember I was not frightened or even close to crying when I dissected a frog in my 7th-grade math class. In fact, I was the leader of my group that did most of the dissecting and identifying of the innards. Now, however, if I see a frog after a rainy day in Norman town, I will cry. Immediately. It's not like anything traumatic happened, I'm just like this now.